Posted on: May 5, 2008 3:49 pm
- And then there were 4: Pittsburgh and Dallas advance in overtime thrillers, and, while Pitt was no surprise, the Stars managed to race out to a 3-0 lead, and then allowed the Sharks to creep and creep back into the series. However, Marty Turco has looked nothing short of amazing on getting his way to the Western Conference Finals. What interests me the most about these Western Conference Finals is that Marty Turco generally struggles against the Red Wings, especially in Detroit, where the Stars lost twice this year, only going 1-3 over the course of the series this year. Will Turco continue this hot streak? My guess would be yes. Unfortunately for him, I don't think his team is better than the Red Wings, considering one of their second line players, Johan Franzen, just broke the franchise goal record for a series, besting Gordie Howe's mark of 8 in a 7 game series, with 9 in a 4 game series. Their starting line of Henrik Zetterburg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom is, in my opinion, the best line in the country, with Sydney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marian Hossa coming in as a close second. Personally I think the Wings will win in 6 games, and the Penguins, who still have not played a quality opponent in my mind, will march through the Flyers in 5 games, setting up a pretty interesting Stanley Cup Finals. Personally I think the Wings will win (then again, I'm a hometown fan) but lets see how things work out.
Posted on: April 25, 2008 1:46 am
Edited on: October 5, 2010 12:37 am
- So THERE'S the offense: 30 runs in 3 games? Apparently that's all the Tigers need to sweep a team in a 3 game series. Welcome back Curtis Granderson, we missed you. The offense obliterated the Rangers, putting up a lot of points in a hurry. A 5 run deficit apparently means nothing to these guys, an 11 run inning will cure that but quick. I'm glad to see the bats booming downtown, hopefully they don't get cold by the time I'm out there on Sunday.
- Pistons prove they can play when they care: Turns out, Philly has no chance of winning this series if the Pistons actually put their minds to beating the 76ers. A near 30 point blowout in Detroit proved that. Hopefully this momentum continues into the road games at Philly. I'm sticking to my prediction of Pistons in 6.
- Renewed Rivalry?: The Wings and Avalanche meet for the first time in the playoffs since 2002 when the Wings won the Stanley Cup, with the Wings taking Game 1 with a 4-3 victory. While many of the old time hockey (see: pre-lockout) fans want this to be the same as the old wars these two teams waged on each other, it just feels slightly forced to me. Yes, I do direly wish that this was the days when Patrick Roy battled Claude Lemieux for the title of "Detroit's Most Hated Rival", but these aren't the same Avs, and they really aren't the same Wings. I'm going to enjoy this series for what it is, a good Conference Semi-Final, and most likely a fun series to watch if all the games follow like this one (Osgood's save with 8 seconds left, amazing), but I'm not going to turn it into what it is not, and that's part of that 6 years where these two teams waged war on the ice for 7 games and by the end you would have thought they won the Stanley Cup with the way these cities rejoiced from downing their hated rivals. Granted, it may turn into that, but I won't put that pressure on this series until then.
- Michigan Man goes #1: Congratulations are in order to my fellow schoolmate, Jake Long. He's fought for 4 years to earn the right to be the #1 pick in the NFL Draft, and I hope that he and the Dolphins find success with each other.
- Pacman gobbled up by Dallas: Jerry Jones is going to officially announce the new name for his team, the Dallas Rehabbers. They work wonders for troubled athletes, bringing them in, and turning them into semi-respectable pro athletes. I'd bash them for this move, but its worked in the past (Terrelle Owens doesn't annoy me half as much as he used to) so kudos to Dallas, you got a damn good corner for next to nothing. It makes me hate you even more, but props are deserved.